Five Spiced Tofu with Brussels Sprout &Thai Basil Black Pepper Reduction
Peng S. Looi / Chef and Culinary Consultant, Noosh Nosh, Louisville, KY; Photo by Peng S. Looi
Ingredients for Tofu:
• 2 packs of firm tofu, cut into 1-inch strips
• 1 tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder
• 1 tsp. salt
• Pinch of black pepper
Method for Tofu:
1. Mix the Chinese five-spice powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
2. Unpack and drain the tofu and cut pieces into 1-inch rectangular logs. Sprinkle the dry mix onto the tofu thoroughly.
3. In a large saute pan on medium heat, add oil. When hot, place tofu pieces and sear till light brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat for the other 3 sides.
4. Remove and keep warm in a 250°F oven.
Ingredients for Asian Pear Slaw:
• 3 tbsp. The Perfect Purée Lychee Puree, thawed
• 1 Asian pear, peeled and julienne
Method for Asian Pear Slaw:
1. Pour the Lychee Puree onto the Asian pear julienne, mix well, and set aside for 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Brussels Sprout and Thai Basil Black Pepper Reduction:
• 1 tsp. The Perfect Purée Key Lime Concentrate, thawed
• 2 tbsp. The Perfect Purée Red Jalapeño Puree, thawed
• 1 cup The Perfect Purée Thai Basil & Black Pepper Blend, thawed
• 2 cups brussel sprouts, cleaned and halved
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Oil for searing
Method for the Brussels Sprout and Thai Basil Black Pepper Reduction:
- Heat the Thai Basil & Black Pepper blend and Key Lime Concentrate with half the minced garlic in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Keep stirring for 5 minutes and remove.
- Place 1 tsp. Oil to a saute pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add the brussel sprouts and minced garlic.
- Saute for 4 minutes and add the Red Jalapeño Puree.
- Continue to saute for another 3 minutes and remove.
- Garnish with fresh Fresno pepper, sliced and seeded, and cilantro leaves.