Plated Dessert of Pistachio Lime Cake with Lime Ice Cream
Jaime Schick / Pastry Chef & Educator / Vanilla Bean Chef
Ingredients for Pistachio Lime Cake:
- 13 g. The Perfect Purée Lime Zest
- 158 g. sugar
- 113 g. milk
- 110 g. AP flour
- 79 g. pistachio oil
- 50 g. eggs
- 40 g. pistachio flour
- 3 g. baking powder
- 2 g. salt
Method for Pistachio Lime Cake:
- Lightly toast pistachio flour and let cool.
- Sift flour, pistachio flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine milk and pistachio oil, set aside.
- Whip the eggs, sugar, and The Perfect Purée Lime Zest on medium-high speed until the mixture has thickened and reached ribbon stage.
- Add a third of dry mixture and mix, add half of the milk mixture and mix, continue alternating until full incorporated.
- Bake at 350°F.
Ingredients for Lime Curd:
- 54 g. The Perfect Purée Lime Zest
- 112 g. yolks
- 78 g. lime juice
- 62 g. butter
- 42 g. sugar
Method for Lime Curd:
- In a small pot, combine the yolks, sugar, lime juice and The Perfect Purée Lime Zest.
- Place on medium heat and cook while whisking continuously until the mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and strain over the butter.
- Full emulsify butter into mixture.
Ingredients for Pistachio Soil:
- 60 g. white chocolate, melted
- 30 g. pistachio flour
- 30 g. sugar
- 30 g. AP flour
- 30 g. butter, melted
- 20 g. milk powder (DMS)
- 15 g. pistachio, chopped
- 2 g. salt
Method for Pistachio Soil:
- Place pistachio flour, sugar, AP flour, salt and chopped pistachios in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter and mix with your hands until the ingredients are fully incorporated and there are no dry spots.
- Place parchment and Bake at 325°F, until golden brown.
- Let cool. Once cool, place in a clean bowl and break up and large pieces.
- Toss with melted white chocolate, followed by milk powder.
- Continue mixing until all pieces are coated in chocolate and milk powder mixture.
- Spread on parchment to fully set before using. You may need to chill to fully set chocolate.
Ingredients for Green Apple Glass:
- 200 g. The Perfect Purée Green Apple Purée
- 27 g. powdered sugar
- 33 g. isomalt
- 7 g. glucose
Method for Green Apple Glass:
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Spread on acetate and dehydrate overnight.
Ingredients for Lime Ice Cream:
- 30 g. The Perfect Purée Lime Zest
- 1050 g. milk, whole
- 300 g. cream
- 285 g. sugar
- 75 g. milk powder (DMS)
- 4 g. ice cream stabilizer
Method for Lime Ice Cream:
- Place milk, cream and The Perfect Purée Lime Zest in a pot and heat to a scald.
- Meanwhile, place sugar, milk powder and stabilizer in a bowl and whisk together.
- When dairy is warm, whisk in sugar mixture and heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool completely.
- Immersion blend before spinning in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Ingredients for Lime Caviar:
- 20 g. The Perfect Purée Lime Zest
- 62 g. water 1
- 43 g. water 2
- 14 g. gelatin, powdered
- oil, cold
Method for Lime Caviar:
- Make sure oil is cold, keep cold until ready to use.
- Mix The Perfect Purée Lime Zest and water 1 together.
- Bloom gelatin in water 2 by sprinkling gelatin over water and mixing together. Let bloom for 2-3 minutes.
- Once bloomed, melt gelatin (either in a small pot or in the microwave). Be sure it reaches 110°F.
- Mix with The Perfect Purée Lime Zest/water mixture and transfer to a sauce bottle.
- Before forming caviar, be sure the lime mixture is warm-room temp NOT hot.
- Remove cold old and start dropping the lime mixture into the oil forming small spheres.
- Strain spheres from oil and rinse in cold water.
- Keep cold before using.