Raspberry Chocolate Gateau
Jacque Vodehnal, Josephine's Bistro, Greensboro, NC
Ingredients for Raspberry Jam:
- 4 cups The Perfect Purée Red Raspberry Puree, thawed
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pkg. Sure-Jel powdered pectin
Method for Raspberry Jam:
- Mix Sure-Jel and Red Raspberry Puree together in a non-reactive large deep saucepan. Place over heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture cannot be stirred down.
- Then add sugar slowly, stirring constantly, until the mixture returns to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Lower heat slightly and stir for 1 minute, then remove from heat—scrape off any foam that rises to the top surface.
- Allow jam to cool, and store in refrigerator for use.
Ingredients for Gateau:
- 24 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, preferably Callebaut 4,000 ct. mini chips
- 11 eggs, well beaten
- 10 ½ oz. granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 15 oz. butter, room temp.
Method for Gateau:
- Melt chocolate chips and water together over boiling water. Cool.
- Cream butter and sugar, slowly add the eggs until incorporated and smooth, then slowly add the melted, cooled chocolate/water mixture, and thoroughly combine.
- Using a 10-inch springform pan, spray with pan spray, line the bottom with slightly oversized parchment paper, and spray again with pan spray. Pour the mixture into pan. The pan can be lined on the outside with aluminum foil to prevent leakage. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes on a rack that is set over a pan of hot water. Remove from oven and cool completely on rack before refrigerating overnight.
Ingredients for Ganache:
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate pistols, preferably Cacao Barry Favorites Mi-Amere Dark Chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
Method for Ganache:
- Heat cream and pour over chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly prior to assembly of gateau.
- Unmold gateau, turn upside down, and remove parchment paper (this will be the top of your dessert). Spread a layer of cold raspberry jam on top of gateau. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set while you prepare the ganache.
- Set gateau on wire rack set on sheet pan, and pour the ganache over the gateau, working quickly to spread over top and sides of gateau. Remove from rack and refrigerate to allow ganache to set before slicing with hot, wet knife into portions.
- Garnish with Crème Anglaise and chocolate sauce, or use raspberry jam to make into a coulis.