Tamarind Barbeque Sauce
David Katz / Consulting Chef
Ingredients for Tamarind Barbeque Sauce:
- 3 tbsp. The Perfect Purée Sweet Ginger, thawed
- 4 oz. The Perfect Purée Tamarind Puree, thawed
- 1 tsp. The Perfect Purée Lemon Zest, thawed
- 1 oz. peanut oil
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. hot chili paste
- 1 tsp. coriander seed, finely ground
- ½ tsp. anise seed, finely ground
- 12 oz. prepared hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey, or to taste
- 3 oz. dark soy sauce, or to taste
Method for Tamarind Barbeque Sauce:
1. Heat a 2-quart saucepan over a medium-high burner. When the pan is hot, add the peanut oil. Add the shallot and garlic, chili paste, coriander, anise seed and The Perfect Purée Sweet Ginger. Sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring the pot to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook at a bare simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Adjust the seasoning with salt or additional soy and honey.
3. Cool the sauce to room temperature, then refrigerate in a tightly covered container until use.
This sauce is best brushed over grilled or roasted pork and fowl during the last few minutes of cooking. Serve with additional sauce as a condiment.