Coconut Arroz con Leche
Aaron Davis (IG: @chefaedavis) / Culinary Institute of America BPS Graduate, Hyde Park, NY; Photo by Aaron Davis
Ingredients for Coconut Arroz con Leche:
- The Perfect Purée Coconut Puree, thawed (as needed)
- 90g jasmine rice
- 8 1/2 fl oz. coconut milk
- 59g sugar
- 2g salt
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 vanilla bean
Method for Coconut Arroz con Leche:
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the rice, reduce to a simmer, and cook until done.
- Bring the coconut milk, sugar, salt, lime zest, cinnamon stick, and vanilla bean to a light boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lime zest, vanilla bean, and cinnamon stick. Add the cooked rice. Cover and cook on low, occasionally stirring, until thickened.
- Cool completely.
- Reconstitute with Coconut Puree until desired consistency.
Ingredients for Rice Crisps:
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pt. water
- Lime sugar (as needed)
Method for the Rice Crisps:
- Bring the water to a boil and add the rice, salt, and sugar. Cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until rice is very overcooked, about 20-25 minutes.
- Once most of the water is evaporated, puree in a blender, adding water to create a vortex (consistency should be like runny Elmer’s glue).
- Strain through a chinois and spread onto a silpad. Dehydrate overnight.
- Break into pieces and fry lightly (avoid color as much as possible).
Ingredients for Tropical Fluid Gel:
(yields 1/2 pt.)
- 29g The Perfect Purée Passion Fruit Concentrate, thawed
- 28g The Perfect Purée Pink Guava Puree, thawed
- 63g sugar
- 2g agar
- 82g glucose syrup
- 94g water
- 10g lime juice
Method for Tropical Fluid Gel:
- Whisk sugar and agar together.
- Combine Passion Fruit Concentrate, Pink Guava Puree, glucose syrup, and water in a small pot. Add the sugar mixture and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Boil for 30 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl and let set.
- Puree in a blender with the lime juice until smooth.
Ingredients for Mixed Fruit:
- 1/2 qt. fresh strawberries
- 1 mango
- 1/2 pineapple
Method for the Mixed Fruit:
- Small dice the fruit.
- Toss with the fluid gel to hold the fruit together.
- Layer the Coconut Arroz con Leche at the bottom of a glass, followed by mixed fruit. Top with rice crisps.