Nyonya Curry Chicken
Peng S. Looi / Chef and Culinary Consultant, Noosh Nosh, Louisville, KY; Photo by Peng S. Looi
Ingredients for Nyonya Curry Chicken:
- 12 pieces organic chicken breast
- Half of a ripen pineapple, but not too over ripe, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- Sliced fresno chili for garnish
For the Curry:
- 15-20 dried chillies, cut, discard seeds and soak in hot boiling water for 20 minutes
- 1 whole white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass, use the pale part about 4 inches from the base
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- ¾ cup oil
1. Blend all Curry ingredients to form a paste. Heat oil in a wok/pan and saute the paste till it is fragrant.
For Part 2:
- 3 tsp. The Perfect Purée Sweet Ginger, thawed
- 1 cup The Perfect Purée Tamarind Puree, thawed
- 1 cup The Perfect Purée Coconut Puree, thawed
- 1L water
- 3 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 kaffir lime leaf
Method for Part 2:
1. Transfer the sauteed paste to a cooking pot and add Part 2. If you find the gravy a bit too thick, add a little bit more water. Simmer in medium heat for 20 minutes.
2. Then, add in the chicken and pineapple pieces and let it simmer till the chicken pieces are cooked. Remove from heat.
3. Remove star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, cooked chicken and pineapple. Blend the remaining sauce in a food processor for 2 minutes. Place chicken and pineapples on a plate and add sauce. Garnish with sliced fresno chilies.